Children's and Parents' Services
Live at the Patchogue-Medford Library!
Come and visit the our newborn chicks!
Welcome Molasses, Rocky, Beethovan,
Peaches, Apollo, Henson, Oz
to our Library!
The colors of the eggs signify they were laid by different chickens.
Green eggs - Araucana Chickens
White eggs - Leghorn Chickens
Brown eggs - Barred Rocks Chickens
Fun Facts about Chickens
1. Chicken are pretty fast. The chicken can travel up to 9 miles when it wants to.
2. The largest ever recorded chicken egg weighed nearly 12 ounces, and measured 12.25 inches.
3. Chicken language has real meanings. The birds give different alarm calls depending on which type of predator is threatening them.
4. There are more chickens on Earth than are humans.
5. The greatest number of yolks ever found in a single chicken egg was nine!.
6. The longest recorded distance flown by any chicken was 301.5 feet.
7. The chicken is the closest living relative of the tyrannosaurus-rex.
8. The record for laying the most eggs in one was day was seven.
9. Chickens can fly, but not long. The longest recorded flight of a chicken is only thirteen seconds.
10. A chicken will lay bigger and stronger eggs if you adjust the lighting in their cages to make them think each day is 28 hours long, instead of 24.
From: Some Amazing Chicken Fact for
Kids - Cool Facts