What is STEM you ask? STEM stands for Science, Technology, Education and Mathematics and has been widely used in curriculum throughout school districts. It helps children with problem solving, discovering new ways of thinking and helps with real-world learning. At the library, we now have 4 tech tubs in our Children’s and Parents’ Services Department that you and your child can use (in-house use only). All you need is your library card! These tech tubs are appropriate for grades Kindergarten-6th grade. Our tech tubs have the following STEM items:
- K’Nex :Consists of interlocking plastic rods, connectors, blocks, gears and wheels which can be pieced together to form a wide variety of models, machines, and architectural structures.
- Strawbees: It features 100 connectors in one color and 100 straws. They can build a bridge, a crane or favorite animal.
- littleBits: Electronic building blocks that let you invent anything. The Bits snap together with magnets.
- Keva Colors Planks: Create colorful structures with precision-cut blocks that stack and stack with surprising stability.
- Gizmo Gears: Supports STEM by introducing children to sorting, grouping, counting, design, and construction.
- Magnetic Shapes & Engineering Maps: Children will explore symmetry and patterning, create larger shapes from combinations of smaller shapes and build 3-D creations from existing diagrams.