- Reading to children at an early age provides the foundation for reading at grade level, obtaining higher reading scores, and achieving academic success.
- It’s important for children to see that their parents enjoy reading.
- Reading to children daily is important for their emotional and intellectual development and can help them become good readers and prepare them to learn in school.
- There are many effective ways a parent can read to a child. For example, if you are tired reading the same story, try reading two stories: your child’s favorite story and a new one. You could also read poems to a child. Children enjoy repetition. Another suggestion is to find a place that is comfortable to read, where the television is turned off and full attention can be focused on the book. Finally, HAVE FUN! When reading is animated and interactive, a child will be more engaged.
Photo Credit: http://mytoddlerisreading.com
- Don’t forget a child’s age and state of development when selecting books to read to him or her. There are different types of books available according to the age and maturity of a child. If you need help in selecting the right book, consult your librarian.