The Library has published a brand-new website for the Celia M. Hastings Local History Room, https://history.pmlib.org, showing the Room, its collections, its services, its policies, and its history, and with a scope including the history of Patchogue, Medford, Brookhaven Town, Suffolk County, Long Island, and New York State.
Curious about what happened here in the past? In East Patchogue, Medford, North Patchogue, Patchogue, the Pat-Med Area, in Brookhaven Town, in Suffolk County, on Long Island (as a region), or in New York State? This website is a great place to start, browse, read, explore, answer questions, do a little research…
- New York State History, including information on census, naturalization, vital & related records; colleges & universities of New York State; county histories; cities of New York State (New York City and its boroughs); Governors (Colonial & State); and U.S. leaders from New York State (Presidents, First Ladies, Vice Presidents, and Supreme Court Justices).
- Long Island History, including Indian prehistory & history, county histories, town histories & records, and village histories.
- Patchogue-Medford Area History, including histories of local Associations; biographies; business & industrial history; educational history; Fire Department history; historic buildings & structures; literary history; maritime history; Police (Constabulary) history; and religious history.
- Library History, including period histories, chronologies, directories, images, haunts (Library locations), and a walking tour of Library history.
- General Research Tools, including Digital PML, the subject headings in the Room's Vertical File, links to where to find historic newspapers, and our index to the Long Island Forum.
- Specialized Research Tools, including lists of Long Island Genealogy Reference works; our birth, marriage and death index to the Long Island Advance; information on researching the history of your house; subject guides to Long Island history; historical commemorations & celebrations; and information on Long Island Espionage & Long Island in the Revolution.
- Other Useful Contacts, including where to explore more about Patchogue-Medford Area history, Brookhaven Town history, Suffolk County history, New York State history, and Long Island history.
For more detailed information about what's on the site, visit this overview of the site.
Any questions or comments? Contact us.