The Carnegie Library’s restoration is continuing in earnest, and the building is getting more modern touches that help bring out the history of the building while updating it to today’s standards.
To commemorate the origins of the historic building, which is set to become the new home of the Young Adult department later this year, two date stones will be added to the front of the building: one for its first opening in 1908 and another for its re-opening as a library in 2016.
A major update also in the works for the building is to bring the Carnegie Library up to today’s ADA standards for accessibility, which includes the addition of a wheelchair ramp that is being added alongside the east side of the building that will lead into a new main entrance facing the Sixth District Court.
In addition to this east side entrance, patrons will also be able to enter the building through the two large doors facing West Main Street. The doors will be replaced by new ones which are currently being manufactured.
Patchogue-Medford Library visited the construction site earlier this month, taking photos of both the exterior and the interior of the building. Below are the photos showing off the outside of the building, and check back soon for a photo post focused on the interior of the Carnegie Library.
Previous Carnegie Library Coverage: